Outplay has a fantastic new opportunity for a creative and people focused Game Design Manager to develop and inspire our highly talented Design team.
The Design Manager role defines and drives the vision for their discipline’s collective excellence, delivers a roadmap for attainment, and inspires the passion, confidence, and drive in our Designers for continual achievement through a wide range of activities.
As required, the Design Manager provides hands-on creative support to the Designers on individual projects in coordination with our Executive Producers and Creative Director.
- Sets a departmental vision by proactively identifying short-term and longer-term goals for how we build on the standards and output of everything we design at Outplay
- Manages and supports the leads group to identify and prioritise goals and processes that can enhance effectiveness through efficiency, standards, knowledge sharing, creative brainstorms, and quality of life
- Works with Outplay Academy to identify and deliver workshops and motivational events, advocating training options to enhance the current or future needs of the business.
- Regularly meets with sub-groups sharing expertise/techniques and generally pursuing group-wide initiatives
- Develops, documents, and communicates departmental best practices and works with our game leads to flag where knowledge sharing & documentation should be improved
- Defines and delivers a comprehensive plan for the wellbeing & development of everyone within their specific discipline
- Delivers transparent performance assessment and targeted goal planning to ensure the individual, the project, and business are all benefitting from the process (taking a strategic and high-level approach to planning, progress and follow-up in this area)
- Conducts frequent 1:1 meetings with direct reports and other department team members as required in accordance with the company’s continuous development requirements
- Assesses and resolves current and future team resource issues by evaluating options across all teams, collaborating with key stakeholders, and selecting the right solution based on impact & skillset, clearly communicating any proposed changes to all stakeholders
- Owns and drives recruitment efforts ensuring that we are equipped to hire and engage top industry talent
- Remains hands-on and exercising the craft that led them to this role, providing on the ground creative support where needed in coordination with our Executive Producers and Creative Director
- Experience working in a strategic and high-level capacity to create a vision and plan for effective team management
- Excellent communication skills to manage, engage, and coach the team and across all disciplines in the studio
- A genuine passion for learning and development and commitment to engaging and progressing Design skills and experience
- High-level presentation and analytical skills to present and convey department information and processes
- Significant people management experience
- Able to handle and mediate effective communications within the team and at all levels of the business
- Experience in building and hiring a Design team within the games sector
- Extensive hands-on Lead/Senior Designer experience on mobile, games-as-a-service products to provide creative support and market insights where needed
- A passion for playing our high-quality games and providing constructive feedback to our teams and encouraging others to do the same
Founded in 2010 and based in Dundee, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK.
To date, the studio’s games have received over 160 million downloads, have been featured multiple times as Apple’s Editors’ Choice, won TIGA awards and received a BAFTA nomination.
With a passionate focus on making the best games, our talented and dynamic team have developed several critically acclaimed and award-winning games. Gordon Ramsay’s Chef Blast and Mystery Match Village are the latest titles in the portfolio, bringing more of the high-quality visuals, production values and casual yet engaging gameplay that Outplay is known for.
With an exciting pipeline of future titles in development and continued growth on our existing games, Outplay is just getting started.
We also offer the following benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
We have a flexible hybrid work model at Outplay, prioritising flexibility, inclusion, health and enjoyment. With our work model, our roles can be fulfilled with the flexibility to choose to relocate to work fully onsite in Dundee or in a hybrid mode, either locally or from anywhere in the UK or European work locations.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.