As an Engineer at Outplay, you will be expected to make solid individual contributions to the project that you are working on. You are expected to be able to deliver small to medium-sized features, taking them through the entire software development lifecycle with little supervision.
You should have strong familiarity with the tools and processes used within your team and be able to use them to deliver quality software in line with estimates.
As an Engineer, you should take responsibility for maintaining the quality of the software produced across your team. You will work with your team to establish well-considered, accurate timescales for delivery and can anticipate where issues may arise ahead of commitment.
You are a Unity developer with the ability to work and communicate well in a team environment. You are a passionate individual, with the ability to support and to contribute to ideas, thoughts, and opinions in order to help drive your game product forward as you share your understanding of mobile games and development with your team.
- Strong knowledge of Unity platform and C#
- Good understanding of OO principles
- Good understanding of game coding principles and techniques
- Ability to write performant code
- Professional experience developing mobile games
- Experience of Unity Editor tooling is a plus
- Released titles for mobile platforms, ideally using Unity, is a plus
Responsibilities and Strengths
- Deliver features, improvements, and fixes in line with team standards and practices.
- Take individual responsibility for small to medium-sized pieces of work through the complete software delivery lifecycle.
- Take individual responsibility for estimating the effort remaining on your work items.
- Write code that is clear, concise, and easily understandable by others.
- Perform code reviews to maintain and improve the quality of code across the project.
- Contribute to company and team best practices.
- Authoritatively handle one or more aspects of content creation.
- Help with review and guiding Juniors, including onboarding, as required.
- Point of contact for your team regarding pipeline and tool processes.
- Confident in your ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Passionate about maintaining and improving high standards of engineering within your project.
- Clear and accurate communication of progress to other members of the team.
- An ability to explain complex concepts in simple terms that others can understand.
- An eagerness to expand and improve your software development skills.
- Collaboration with others to work through difficulties in a pragmatic and timely fashion.
- Confident in abilities and clear on the goals of assigned project(s).
- Ability to tackle code challenges with a player-focused perspective.
Founded in 2010, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile games developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games that everyone can enjoy!
As a leading mobile developer, Outplay offers candidates an opportunity to work at the forefront of the industry, creating world-class games with a global audience and international recognition. To date, our games have received over 150 million downloads and we have received a stable of industry nominations and awards.
Our talent development initiative, The Outplay Academy, enables you to acquire new skills and grow alongside our ever-evolving studio. As part of the Academy, we offer mentoring schemes, educational workshops, the opportunity to attend industry events, and host guest speakers for our teams and the local development community.
The fun and passion injected into our games are reflected in our super-friendly culture too! We find many ways to socialise, celebrate together and have created a comprehensive wellbeing package to support our team.
We also offer the following benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Outplay team is currently all working remotely.
During this time, we are working on the creation of a leading-edge, hybrid work environment that regardless of how you work, you have every opportunity to deliver and develop.
Therefore, our roles are open to being explored as future remote, hybrid or onsite opportunities.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.