Here at Outplay we are in an exciting growth phase and are currently seeking an experienced Mid-Level to Senior Game Designer who has been involved in games as a service, developing games from concept to production, and has a vision for where the mobile games industry may go in the future.
As a Designer at Outplay, you will be a key member of the Design department, helping establish world-class designs for your project and the company. You will be tasked with pushing the boundaries of our games, constantly on the lookout to innovate and iterate on successful ideas. You will be joining a team that strives for excellence and as such you will be expected to cultivate and support the game design of your project.
- Significant experience in a previous game design role, ideally at least 3+ years, but candidates with less experience who can demonstrate the required skills may be considered.
- Skilled in designing and documenting core-loops, features, and limited-time events (including the creation of wireframes and flow diagrams).
- Experience successfully collaborating with others to bring designs to life.
- Knowledgeable about free-to-play games (and micro-monetization) and related key performance indicators.
- Good grasp of mathematics and the process of keeping limited-time events and game economies well balanced.
- Familiarity and interest in mobile games and the casual puzzle genre (as a player and/or developer), particularly Match-3 and Match-2 games.
- Experience with Unity is considered desirable.
- Work closely with Department Manager and Leads to establish and communicate the design approach and direction for the studio.
- Spearhead one or more complex aspects of the game, such as new feature development, limited-time event design, and implementation.
- Participate in live content creation, balancing, and revisions.
- Provide clear and insightful direction and troubleshoot issues, as required.
- Communicate well-considered, accurate timescales for delivery and anticipate where issues may arise ahead of commitment.
- Report on (and represent) design effort and progress on own project(s).
- Enhance design community and knowledge-sharing at Outplay via Academy workshops, etc., and representing Outplay externally at lectures, hiring fairs, conventions, etc.
- Reliable, detail-oriented, and effective in time management.
- Eager to provide mentorship and training to more junior designers.
- Driven to establish and champion a standout creative vision for your game in collaboration with the team.
- Good self-starter instincts and an ability to work with little to no oversight. Can shift between micro-and macro-level views of the project as needed. Easily adapts to changes in production resources, project scope, and goals.
- Experienced in mobile and free-to-play game design with a passion for evolving and innovating the user experience to entertain, retain, and engage players.
- Understands the importance of player data analysis and able to propose and implement feature and content changes to improve a game’s key performance indicators.
- Takes pride in the craft of making exceptional games and embraces the responsibility for pushing the quality and success of each game and motivates the team accordingly.
- Appreciates that the team’s and company’s success is determined by the timely delivery of exceptional, optimised games and game updates and is committed to achieving each product goal accordingly.
- Actively researches and keeps up to date with new games, industry and market trends, platform and OS changes, and best practices to improve existing games and help innovate with future games.
Founded in 2010, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile games developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games that everyone can enjoy!
As a leading mobile developer, Outplay offers candidates an opportunity to work at the forefront of the industry, creating world-class games with a global audience and international recognition. To date, our games have received over 150 million downloads and we have received a stable of industry nominations and awards.
Our talent development initiative, The Outplay Academy, enables you to acquire new skills and grow alongside our ever-evolving studio. As part of the Academy, we offer mentoring schemes, educational workshops, the opportunity to attend industry events and host guest speakers for our teams and the local development community.
The fun and passion injected into our games are reflected in our super-friendly culture too! We find many ways to socialise, celebrate together and have created a comprehensive wellbeing package to support our team.
We also offer the following benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Outplay team is currently all working remotely. During this time, we are working on the creation of a leading-edge, hybrid work environment that regardless of how you work, you have every opportunity to deliver and develop. Therefore, our roles are open to being explored as future remote, hybrid, or onsite opportunities.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.