As a Senior Engineer at Outplay you are a key member of the department responsible for one or more major aspects of the project's code base and helping establish world-class code for your project (or team) and the company.
You will take ownership over the delivery of a major feature or sub-system within your project, often overseeing an Engineer and/or Junior Software Engineer to complete its delivery.
You will work closely with Lead Engineers to establish and communicate the engineering approach for large sections of the code base and to steer code at a high level whilst taking direct responsibility for more complex aspects of the game. In addition to overseeing the engineering output of more junior colleagues, you are always on the look-out for opportunities for the team to improve its efficiency and working practices.
You possess authoritative knowledge of multiple aspects of code development on your project and can advise, instruct, and innovate in these areas.
- Being a Senior Engineer at Outplay means being responsible for one or more major aspects of a project’s codebase.
- You will work closely with Lead Engineers to establish and communicate the engineering approach for a large section of the code base, in addition to the code quality that others in the team can learn from.
- You will be expected to participate in the engineer hiring process to help filter and select candidates for engineering roles across the studio.
- As required, you will directly guide mid-level and junior engineers in code production, best practices and direction as well as work behaviours, helping them to improve their skills and confidence.
- You will advise and mentor mid-level and junior engineers to ensure their work is up to par, supporting them as needed, and helping keep them meaningfully challenged in their work.
- In addition to code creation, you will update the pipeline documentation, as required.
- You will be responsible for content creation and review this in the build.
- You will be expected to enhance code community by knowledge sharing at Outplay via Academy workshops etc.
- You will help assess and enhance culture and morale of the code team and report as required.
- As a Senior Engineer you will be a champion of projects, and will be able to report and represent code effort.
- You will provide clear and insightful direction and troubleshoot issues, as required.
- You will have a firm understanding of the skills and strengths of your team members.
- You possess effective time management skills.
- Focused on producing high quality work.
- You will possess good self-starter instincts and an ability to work with little to no oversight.
- You have the ability to shift between micro- and macro-level views of the project as needed.
- You can easily adapt to changes in production resources, project scope and goals.
- Communicate well considered, accurate timescales for delivery and can anticipate where issues may arise ahead of commitment.
Founded in 2010, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile games developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games that everyone can enjoy!
As a leading mobile developer, Outplay offers candidates an opportunity to work at the forefront of the industry, creating world-class games with a global audience and international recognition. To date, our games have received over 150 million downloads and we have received a stable of industry nominations and awards.
Our talent development initiative, The Outplay Academy, enables you to acquire new skills and grow alongside our ever-evolving studio. As part of the Academy, we offer mentoring schemes, educational workshops, the opportunity to attend industry events and host guest speakers for our teams and the local development community.
The fun and passion injected into our games are reflected in our super-friendly culture too! We find many ways to socialise, celebrate together and have created a comprehensive wellbeing package to support our team.
We also offer the following benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Outplay team are currently all working remotely.
During this time, we are working on the creation of a leading-edge, hybrid work environment that regardless of how you work, you have every opportunity to deliver and develop.
Therefore, our roles are open to being explored as future remote, hybrid or onsite opportunities.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.