Outplay has a fantastic new opportunity for a creative and people focused Design Manager to lead our highly talented Design team.
The Design management role defines and drives the vision for their discipline’s collective excellence, delivers a road map for attainment, and inspires the passion, confidence and drive in our Designers for continual achievement.
The Design Manager will lead in all areas of Game Design delivery throughout our portfolio and bring their extensive Design experience to direct, inspire and guide design.
- Sets a departmental vision by proactively identifying a long term plan for how we build on the standards and output of everything we design at Outplay.
- Manages and supports the leads group to identify and prioritise goals that can enhance effectiveness through efficiency, standards and quality of life.
- Works with Outplay Academy to identify and deliver workshops as well as motivational events. Advocating training options to enhance the current or future needs of the business.
- Regularly meets with sub-groups sharing expertise/techniques and generally pursuing group-wide initiatives.
- Develops, documents and communicates departmental best practices. Works with our game leads to flag where knowledge sharing & documentation could be improved.
- Defines and delivers a comprehensive plan for the well being & development of everyone within their specific discipline.
- Delivers transparent performance assessment and targeted goal planning to ensure the individual, the project and Outplay are visibly benefitting from the process. Taking a strategic and high-level approach to planning, progress and follow-up in this area.
- Conducts frequent 1:1 meeting’s with direct reports as well as everyone else in their department, in accordance with the company’s continuous development requirements.
- Assesses and resolves current and future team resource issues by evaluating options across all teams, collaborating with key stakeholders, and selecting the right solution based on impact & skillset. Clearly communicates any proposed changes to all stakeholders.
- Owns and drives recruitment efforts ensuring that we are equipped to hire and engage top industry talent.
- Remains hands-on and exercising the craft that led them to this role, providing on the ground Design and creative support where needed.
- Experience working in a strategic and high-level capacity to create a vision and plan for effective team management
- Excellent communication skills to direct, engage and coach the team and across all disciplines in the studio.
- A genuine passion for learning and development and commitment to engaging and progressing Design skills and experience.
- High-level presentation and analytical skills to present and convey department information
- Significant people management experience
- Able to handle and mediate effective communications within the team and all levels of the business
- Experience in building and hiring a Design team within the games sector
- Extensive hands-on Lead/Senior Design experience that is of constant value to both or products and development team.
- A passion for creating products within our portfolio and engagement with the quality led, fun, playful style we create.
Founded in 2010, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile games developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games that everyone can enjoy!
As a leading mobile developer, Outplay offers candidates an opportunity to work at the forefront of the industry, creating world-class games with a global audience and international recognition. To date, our games have received over 150 million downloads and we have received a stable of industry nominations and awards.
Our talent development initiative, The Outplay Academy, enables you to acquire new skills and grow alongside our ever-evolving studio. As part of the Academy, we offer mentoring schemes, educational workshops, the opportunity to attend industry events and host guest speakers for our teams and the local development community.
The fun and passion injected into our games are reflected in our super-friendly culture too! We find many ways to socialise, celebrate together and have created a comprehensive wellbeing package to support our team.
We also offer the following staff benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Outplay team are currently all working remotely.
During this time, we are working on the creation of a leading-edge, hybrid work environment that regardless of how you work, you have every opportunity to deliver and develop.
Therefore, our roles are open to being explored as future remote, hybrid or onsite opportunities.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.