At Outplay we are looking for a Senior Shared Tech Programmer to join our highly talented software engineering team. This Senior Programmer will deliver new reliable and efficient tech to our game teams throughout our migration towards Unity as a company. The role involves vision and experience in building tech as services as well as a proactive mindset to inform and support the development of our core technology for all our new Unity games.
You are an advanced Unity developer with the ability to work and communicate well within and without a team environment. You thrive on working with and empowering others in all disciplines and actively enable them to contribute to the technical vision of the company. Your ability to inspire confidence, support and to provide ideas, thoughts and opinions will help drive all teams forward as you share your understanding of mobile games and development and provide technology which helps everyone get ahead.
- Create and maintain robust, intuitive systems and tooling
- Support the game teams to integrate your output
- Actively participate in the overall strategy for the Shared Tech team, and refine our systems, tools, and processes continuously
- Research and make recommendations to identify the right solutions for our games
- Present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences (including non-technical)
- Collaborate with all the disciplines throughout Outplay to ensure we deliver on their needs
Required Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge of Unity platform and C#
- Good understanding of OO principles
- Experience in delivering projects of all sizes, from concept to execution
- Familiarity in delivering services to clients and what it involves (requirements gathering, onboarding, etc.)
- Good understanding of game development principles and techniques
Able to evaluate competitors for third party services such as Analytics and Crash Reporting
- Professional experience developing mobile games
- Knowledge of Unity optimisation techniques
- The ability to demonstrate clear, maintainable, and portable code
- Proven ability to efficiently debug C# and native code (Android, iOS), in editor and on device
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing highly reusable tech for Unity games
- Experience of developing custom Unity Editor tools
Experience collaborating on REST API design and implementation
- Experience of writing automated tests, particularly for C# code
- Ability to automate the build and distribution of projects to internal/external users on multiple platforms
- Keen interest in the latest features and systems by Unity
- Understanding of Agile principles
Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create limitless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games for mobile phones and tablets.
This approach has seen us recognised for a stable of award-winning titles, including Mystery Match, Crafty Candy and Booty Quest. Our portfolio of awesome games is expanding, and we are always on the search for talented and passionate people to help us grow. With over 30 nationalities represented and a diverse range of experience and expertise, our teams thrive off their ability to work at the forefront of the mobile games industry, building or supporting live game experiences that are enjoyed by millions of players across the world.
The fun and passion injected into our games is reflected in our culture too. Outplay is more than just work. New team members will join a family that has conquered Munros, raced karts, taken on Tough Mudder and Rough Runner, competed in bake-offs, downward dogged, and even ventured to the wilds of Scotland together.
What we can offer
You will have the chance to benefit from our talent initiative, The Outplay Academy - and the opportunity to acquire new skills and grow alongside the business. From mentoring schemes and educational workshops to industry event attendance and guest speakers - we are proud of our dedication to development.
We also offer the following staff benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Childcare savings
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.