Outplay’s portfolio of games are played and enjoyed by millions of people every month. Our in-house technology stack and the engineering team that maintains it are pivotal to entertaining and engaging that ever-growing audience.
While it is vital that our systems are always reliable and responsive, it is equally important that we continually develop new features to improve and expand to support the needs of the business.
Here at Outplay we have a fantastic new opportunity for a Technical Director to take the lead in establishing Outplay’s overall technical strategy, vision and long-term technical goals whilst driving our highly skilled engineering team. You will demonstrate good leadership, charisma, enthusiasm and have a strong commitment to continually improving every aspect of the team.
As the Technical Director, you will lead and inspire the technical team to create the technology to power Outplay’s expanding portfolio of games.
You will have a passion for delivering best of breed technology and building the high performing team behind that delivery.
Experienced in both technology and leadership, you will be equally confident diving into technical details as structuring a team for rapid and robust delivery.
Technical Vision and Delivery
- Champion technology throughout the company, ensuring that it is aligned to strategic and commercial objectives.
- Create and communicate technical vision, creating a road map to ensure that engineering priorities and time frames are visible throughout the company.
- Collaborate with other teams and disciplines to ensure that we harness technology to become more effective in everything that we do.
- Channel the technical vision and product strategy into everyday development, managing the development process to deliver the vision.
- Maintain an awareness of market developments. Constantly seeking out innovations that we can use to improve our player experience and development process.
- Establish and implement effective development practises across the engineering team.
Team Management & Continual Improvement
- Continually seek opportunities for the engineering team to improve its delivery and working practises.
- Ensure that every member of the team is working at their best, collaborating to form a highly performing team.
- Define and deliver a comprehensive plan for the well-being & development of every member of your team.
- Deliver transparent performance assessments and targeted improvement plans to ensure that the individual, the project and Outplay are visibly benefiting from the process.
- Conduct frequent 1:1 meetings with direct reports as well as everyone else in their department, in accordance with the company’s continuous development requirements.
- Assess and resolve current and future team resource issues by evaluating options across all teams, collaborating with key stakeholders, and selecting the right solution based on impact & skill-set. Clearly communicates any proposed changes to all stakeholders
- Own and drive recruitment efforts ensuring that we are equipped to hire and engage top industry talent.
- Proven commercial leadership experience in the gaming industry either as a Technical Director, or Senior/Lead on a major game.
- A bachelor’s degree in a software related discipline, or equivalent commercial experience.
- Exceptional management and communication skills.
- An in-depth understanding of full life-cycle software development.
- Good knowledge of software engineering practices and proven ability to apply them in a range of programming languages, particularly C#/Unity.
- Experience with modern mobile development on iOS and Android platforms.
- A good track record of technical delivery across a range of different domains.
- Enthusiasm for casual mobile games and market as well as the particular technical challenges they present.
- An understanding of agile development processes and their application to game development.
- Knowledge of ads monetization / mediation environment.
- Experience of working with server-side technology stacks, preferably in a DevOps environment.
- Experience of architecting and delivering developer facing software solutions.
Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK and based in the thriving game's hub of Dundee, Scotland. We create endless fun for our players with lovingly crafted and innovative games for mobile phones and tablets.
This approach has seen us recognised for a stable of award-winning titles, including Mystery Match, Crafty Candy and Angry Birds POP! Our portfolio of awesome games is expanding and we are looking for talented and passionate people to help us grow. With over 30 nationalities represented and a diverse range of experience and expertise, our teams thrive on their ability to work at the forefront of the mobile games industry, building or supporting live game experiences that are enjoyed by millions of players across the world.
The fun and passion injected into our games is reflected in our culture too. Outplay is more than just work. New team members will join a family that has conquered Munros, raced karts, taken on Tough Mudder and Rough Runner, competed in bake-offs, downward dogged, and even ventured to the wilds of Scotland together.
What we can offer
You will have the chance to benefit from our talent initiative, The Outplay Academy - and the opportunity to acquire new skills and grow alongside the business. From mentoring schemes and educational workshops to industry event attendance and guest speakers - we are proud of our dedication to development.
Don’t live in Scotland? We know starting afresh can be challenging. From your first arrival to moving into your new home, our bespoke relocation package covers every aspect of settling into a new country. With our help, you’ll be calling Scotland home in no time.
We also offer the following staff benefits:
- Private Medical & Dental Insurance
- Group Personal Pension
- Group Life Assurance Policy
- EMI Share Option Scheme
- 28 days of holiday (increasing to 33 over 5 years)
- Employee Assistance Package
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Rewards Program - Exclusive discounts and freebies
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and provide a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation.
All our employees are treated with dignity and respect, because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family!