Outplay has a fantastic new opportunity for a creative and people focused Design Manager to lead our highly talented Design team.
The Design management role defines and drives the vision for their discipline’s collective excellence, delivers a roadmap for attainment, and inspires the passion, confidence and drive in our Designers for continual achievement.
The Design Manager will lead in all areas of Game Design delivery throughout our portfolio and bring their extensive Design experience to direct, inspire and guide design.
Areas of delivery
- Sets a departmental vision by proactively identifying a long terms plan for how we build on the standards and output of everything we design at Outplay.
- Manages and supports the leads group to identify and prioritise goals that can enhance effectiveness through efficiency, standards and quality of life.
- Works with Outplay Academy to identify and deliver workshops as well as motivational events. Advocating training options to enhance the current or future needs of the business.
- Regularly meets with sub-groups sharing expertise/techniques and generally pursuing group-wide initiatives.
- Develops, documents and communicates departmental best practices. Works with our game leads to flag where knowledge sharing & documentation could be improved.
- Defines and delivers a comprehensive plan for the wellbeing & development of everyone within their specific discipline.
- Delivers transparent performance assessment and targeted goal planning to ensure the individual, the project and Outplay are visibly benefitting from the process. Taking a strategic and high-level approach to planning, progress and follow-up in this area.
- Conducts frequent 1:1 meeting’s with direct reports as well as everyone else in their department, in accordance with the company’s continuous development requirements.
- Assesses and resolves current and future team resource issues by evaluating options across all teams, collaborating with key stakeholders, and selecting the right solution based on impact & skillset. Clearly communicates any proposed changes to all stakeholders.
- Owns and drives recruitment efforts ensuring that we are equipped to hire and engage top industry talent.
- Remains hands-on and exercising the craft that led them to this role, providing on the ground Design and creative support where needed.
- Experience working in a strategic and high-level capacity to create a vision and plan for effective team management
- Excellent communication skills to direct, engage and coach team and across all disciplines in the studio.
- A genuine passion for learning and development and commitment to engaging and progressing Design skills and experience.
- High-level presentation and analytical skills to present and convey department information
- Significant people management experience
- Able to handle and mediate effective communications within the team and all levels of the business
- Experience in building and hiring a Design team within the games sector
- Extensive hands-on Lead/Senior Design experience that is of constant value to both or products and development team.
- A passion for creating products within our portfolio and engagement with the quality led, fun, playful style we create.
Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK specialising in fun, lovingly crafted, and innovative games for mobile phones and tablets. Based in Dundee, Scotland, we boast a large and diverse team from over 30 nations – with an ever-expanding portfolio of games in development, we’re always on the lookout for fresh new talent.
As a leading mobile developer, Outplay offers candidates an opportunity to work at the forefront of the industry, creating world-class games with a global audience and international recognition.
Our talent development initiative, The Outplay Academy, enables you to acquire new skills and grow alongside the business. As part of the Academy, we offer mentoring schemes, educational workshops, the opportunity to attend industry events and host guest speakers for our teams and the local developer community.
Moving to Scotland
Lively cities, historic architecture, world heritage sites, breathtaking landscapes, and countless islands. It’s no surprise that Scotland constantly tops the list for quality of life. Explore this great nation for yourself from the vibrant city of Dundee.
Dundee is at the cutting edge of modern creative industries. The recent opening of the V&A Museum of Design has given rise to international support and funding, turning the waterfront into a social hub filled with bars, restaurants, and creative spaces.
Dundee is home to two Universities constantly developing talent that pushes the bounds of the technology sector. This can be felt nowhere better than Outplay Entertainment’s teams and their devotion to creating quality games.
Outplay is more than just work. You will be joining a family that has climbed Munros, hosts BBQs, taken on the Tough Mudder challenge and even ventured to the wilds of Scotland together.
We know starting afresh can be challenging. From your first arrival to moving into your new home, our bespoke relocation package covers every aspect of settling into a new country. With our help, you’ll be calling Scotland home in no time.